GoToWebinar - software

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
not Michael
GoToWebinar - software

Post by not Michael » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:21 pm

Anybody familiar with software named "GoToWebinar"?

I ran across a free webinar I wanted to listen to, but to do it I had to download and install that software. Its free software for a free webinar from a free job search consultant. I don't know how he found my name, but it started right after I looked at the Jobs Search section of the website for one of my professional organizations.

Anyway, there are 3 layers of free, and it scares me. You folks know more about computers than I ever will. Does anyone know anything about this software? Is it safe to install?

Thanks
2 x

CelticDragon

Re: GoToWebinar - software

Post by CelticDragon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:45 am

I wouldn't trust it. The fact they're trying to get you to download (that's how it sounds to me)...just doesn't sit right with me.
2 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:05 am

Sounds like the free app for both androids and iphones via googleplay and apple's itunes/app store!

nM, I've found that, although it has high (star) ratings, I tend to be wary of any free app download these days! Haven't had much chance to check out if the paid version is any good but like with CD I'd not easily trust it! If more info can be dug up regarding the paid version ... I'd at least hold off on downloading it!

And yes it also looks like there may be a desktop and/or laptop version too.
2 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:55 am

From what I could find ...

Priced version ranges from $90 a month (billed annually or $109 month-to month) to $300 a month (billed annually or $369 month-to-month)

• $90 for 100 attendees
• $200 for 500 attendees (billed annually or $249 month-to-month)
• $300 for 1,000 attendees

The about us link on their webpage links to Citrix.com a "virtual" workplace environment software business

http://www.citrix.com/about.html

Their download page lists a bunch of free trials which include the GoToWebinar app (along with the GoToMeeting, GoToTraining, GoToWebcast and Podia apps).

It does (at least on the surface) appear to be legitimate… yet, how they managed to find your name still troubles me! Was the there an ad on the page you were looking at? I don't know … the whole thing just seems odd to suspect to me. Maybe, along with any other tech/IT savvy folks here some one at those professional organizations or who you work with might help to also shed some light on this for you!

Couldn't really find much outside of what I posted here about the GoToWebinar software/app though… but I hope (at least for now) that it does help at least a little!
2 x

Herman
Site Admin

Post by Herman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:10 am

I'd probably stay away from this app. If you link or pm the webinar in mind there (I would think) should be a free alternative. What if someone didn't have a smartphone or only wanted to participate through a pc?
2 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:44 am

Looks like three strikes here so far, Herman!

Yes, I have trouble about the whole thing (GoToWebinar app) too. Too many questionable elements to garner any real trust in it.
2 x