Windows XP Issues

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
Tamianth
Re: Windows XP Issues

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:10 pm

by Slim on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:26 pm
Guest wrote:
Now for all the catching up on the MS updates, for hours and hours of downloading, installing, restarting
Suggestion:

Access this site, and download all the updates in one almost digestible glob. Then, follow the instructions to load your new XP installation with the updates.

The site instructions are sort of hidden amongst some distractions, but you should eventually be able to figure it out.

http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:11 pm

by Herman on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:49 am
Interesting Slim, I never heard of nor seen a site like that. I've always pre-downloaded the service packs so I wouldn't have to wait for the long delay of having Microsoft do it, but have never seen a program where its all-in-one. Will look at this.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:11 pm

by Guest on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:53 am
OK, it's working much smoother, but another question?
Had to change out the old optical drive with a DVD-R ASUS. The XP seems to be having the same ol' problem of acknowledging it on a port (plug and play?). The ASUS program (from their disc) will not launch. It does do some stuff. Finally plays DVD's- but only does it in Windows Media- not the "ASUS "Power to go" program.It has ISO Image burning capabilities and I wanted to make some Recover Image discs so I wont have to go through all this again if it comes up.
Can I carefully plug the ASUS in - While the PC is on and see if it will "plug and play" right then?
The XP has older "Slave" and "Master" optical drive connections, and I've had it plugged into the "master" through a SATA adaptor.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:12 pm

by Herman on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:01 am
Guest wrote:
OK, it's working much smoother, but another question?
Had to change out the old optical drive with a DVD-R ASUS. The XP seems to be having the same ol' problem of acknowledging it on a port (plug and play?). The ASUS program (from their disc) will not launch. It does do some stuff. Finally plays DVD's- but only does it in Windows Media- not the "ASUS "Power to go" program.It has ISO Image burning capabilities and I wanted to make some Recover Image discs so I wont have to go through all this again if it comes up.
Can I carefully plug the ASUS in - While the PC is on and see if it will "plug and play" right then?
The XP has older "Slave" and "Master" optical drive connections, and I've had it plugged into the "master" through a SATA adaptor.
I would first check the actual cabling of the (new?) dvd unit and see if its not a problem with where it connects on the motherboard. Maybe swap the connection spot there with an open one. You can use any port on the board you like. If that doesn't make any difference, forget the power to play or even the Microsoft crap for playing media. Use: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html Its open source and one of the best I've ever seen for compatibility issues on using various dvd/cd formats.

NO! Don't swap the cables while the machine is on. Not that there's a worry about electrical issues, more about corruption of dll files and other drivers that suddenly have to "switch gear" from one port to another while the drive is mounted. SATA/IDE - Slave/Master settings should be LONG GONE. Set the device to cable select and leave it there for the rest of your life!!! Lets hear how it works out.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:13 pm

by Slim on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:23 am
Herman wrote:
Interesting Slim, I never heard of nor seen a site like that. I've always pre-downloaded the service packs so I wouldn't have to wait for the long delay of having Microsoft do it, but have never seen a program where its all-in-one. Will look at this.
It is not quite "all-in-one", since each update is still identified by the alphanumeric Microsoft uses, and one can choose which updates to apply (or apply them all). Apparently this is a repository for the periodic updates, for those of us who did not keep a copy as Microsoft released 'em.

Since XP support will terminate next month, consider accessing that site, and downloading all the updates, if you might have to reinstall XP at a later date. A couple of months ago, I had to reinstall XP on one of my machines (sound familiar?) from an old OEM CD. Started to go through the usual repetitive online update cycle, 'till I remembered I had downloaded the material from windowsupdatedownloader.com. Since all the "old" updates were already downloaded, there was no need to use the online version of Windows Update.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:13 pm

by Guest on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:46 am
The VideoLan player is OK, about the same as some of the other free players, but wont trigger or engage any burning features. (which is why I was trying to get the ASUS program, from their included disc- to work.)

I’ll have to take another look at the IDE ports available on the board, but I know there’s slightly smaller width cables for the hard drive, and an unused cable hanging- for a removed “floppy drive”. I really need the new optical drive to burn DVD’s from old VCR tapes- and it will through a ass-backwards method of transfering the VCRtoDVD files from another PC (having the same VCRtoDVD program), and making the XP program burn discs, but it wont record on the xp.
Also, as I’ve mentioned earlier- the ASUS has image burning feature, I would like to use to make some new and better xp recover discs.

P.S. The Win8, here uses the same optical drive program as the ASUS came with- “Power-to-go”. and made image discs- Also I tested the “Power-to-go” disc/program on a Win7 and it worked fine. It tries hard to launch on the XP, but fails.
0 x