Welcome Jager

If you wish, post a little info about yourself - your interests or background in scam detection / defense / counteracting / education ... whatever. Also, let us know how you found us. (These entries are completely optional!)
Herman
Site Admin
Welcome Jager

Post by Herman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 pm

Welcome to aux!! :tiphat:
3 x

Jagar

Re: Welcome Jager

Post by Jagar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks Herman! I have benefited greatly from many of the posters I see here from their posts and my searches on 800Notes. The entire unsolicited calls environment is very worrisome and frustrating. If 800Notes was not available, I would still be fumbling around trying to understand the source and nature of most of the unsolicited calls I receive. I can't thank the helpful posters enough - especially the "regulars" that provide true insight and assistance. I'm here to continue my education process and to help where I can.
5 x

Herman
Site Admin

Post by Herman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Glad you're here - post, get to know us and in time we'll bump you up to the private side of the forum.
4 x

DM1

Post by DM1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Welcome to aux! :hapsmile:
3 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Welcome aboard, Jager :hapsmile:
3 x

Hortensia

Post by Hortensia » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:15 pm

:-D Welcome
3 x

MzFish

Post by MzFish » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:39 am

Welcome to Aux!! :kitty:
3 x
Trust takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair

Jagar

Post by Jagar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:26 pm

My thanks to all for your warm welcomes! My user ID is Jagar - not Jager. It is a composite of the first initials of each of my family members (including myself). Like Herman, I'm from the DC Metro Area - specifically Northern Virginia. We are very provincial on the west side of the Potomac River. :angel: I have worked for the Government (Army, Navy, NSA, CIA) and private industry (3 different companies), but now I'm retired. I was "sensitized" to fraudulent activity when my Daughter's identity was stolen. A year after she graduated from college, a student forged my Daughter's signature (as a co-signer) on a student loan and didn't make any payments. So, the loan company came after my Daughter to pay. It took about a year, two State's Attorney Generals, two police departments, a lot of paperwork, and a good lawyer to extricate my Daughter from that mess. Since then I have had several debt collectors try to put the touch on me (I have a common name). The first time I had my lawyer deal with them (more paperwork), but all of the subsequent times my lawyer advised me to log and block the calls and, if I every received anything in the mail, he would take over. Fortunately, this hasn't happened yet. My telephone has good call blocking capabilities (up to 250 entries and number range blocking), and we have all of our friends and family on "special" ring tones. So, when I hear a normal ringtone (someone we haven't blocked) I can't help but feel anxious that it might be a debt collector. Because of the type of work I did, I was very conscientious about not being in debt, so I never was. But, the first debt collector my lawyer had to deal with (amount was about $25) made me realize how easy it was for bad information (however small) to cause a significant amount of stress and potentially ruin a person's credit. I still get a little anxious when I get the mail. I kept thinking, "I don't have any debt and I have a good credit rating. Why are these debt collectors calling me?" I found 800Notes when checking some of these phone numbers and got a significant measure of relief when I realized that most of these callers were scammers and were preying on people whether or not they owed anyone. I'm extremely grateful for 800Notes because it has helped me deal with unsolicited calls and has reduced my stress level. I believe education is the key. Until I learned about 800Notes and learned to filter the comments, I was ignorant about the unsolicited calls I was/am receiving. Think about all of the people out there (especially the elder) who are still in the dark. I apologize for rambling on about my personal experiences, but they are the basis for why I am here today. Thanks again to all of you that have helped to educate me.
5 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:39 pm

Some of us stand corrected! :oops: :wink: Jagar it is (with an "a" not an "e") :smileup:

Sounds like I know at least 3 now from that same basic area... have a sister in Virgina and not far from D.C.
Her hubby used to work with the Pentagon and before was a Navy SEAL (but not team 6 ;) ), he's now a civilian employee though. Family background probably not including CIA though, father was an attorney for my State for a while (prior to being in private practice and also a member of the Reserves ... then prior to that a Marine and during WWII a naval officer); had one BIL who served in the Marines as well.

Your "resume" (okay to call it that right? :wink: ) does sound impressive :mrcool: :angel: . Good to have someone like you on our side too btw :) :hapsmile: :-D
3 x

Jagar

Post by Jagar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks 1-C. It's hard not to know someone well connected to the microcosm of DC and its surrounds. We have two close friends who work at the White House and the State Dept. The first has some scary tales :affraid: and the second vows no connection to Hillary. :evilno:
4 x