Spring Weather

Do you have a post that does not fit anywhere else in this forum?
If so, post it here.
1-C
Re: Spring Weather

Post by 1-C » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Rusty, I'd happily send some sunshine your way ;) ... except that's all it is - as clear and sunny as it is out here it's still pretty darned cold :wideye: during daylight hours and colder at night. Coulda sworn I'd have to stop using the heater by now and start using the AC! Maybe Punxsutawney Phil got it 100% right this time... late Spring for both of us.

And speaking of yard work, yep... I hear ya! Mine resembles a wild field and ground is still damp. Let's see a little more sunshine and warmer days, please!
2 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:38 am

Punxsutawney Phil is like the Farmer's Almanac.. Seems like every year they call for THE BIGGEST SNOWFALL IN TEN/TWENTY/THIRTY YEARS. Only after six to seven years go by with nothing major. THEN the US gets hit all around with BIG SNOW and the Almanac publishers say, "SEE!?! WE TOLD YOU!" Ha!

The forecast here has changed. Only expecting a little rain today and a very slight chance tomorrow. The weekend is looking better and better. Might be time to whip out the sticks and play 9 at the local public course on Saturday. You know what they say, "Golf is a nice slow walk ruined by a little white ball."
1 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Hmmm... ol' Phil may have just been a little off then. ;)

Here, looks like it's starting to cloud up a bit now. And temps presently about 60º ... but more sunny weather is the current forecast. Still waiting till the ground dries enough to give the yard a much needed "haircut" ... too much on the wild side as it is right now!
2 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:18 pm

We have a battle on our hands here with the lawn. Years ago, before we moved into our home, a neighbor planted Zoysia grass in their yard. For the climate here it grew and spread quite well, surprisingly. Eventually it made its way into our yard and choked out all the bluegrass over the years. The neighbor sold and the new owners who moved in killed all the zoysia and planted bluegrass because, "It kills lawn mowers!". Now we are the only ones who have Zoysia.

Zoysia can be cut to an inch long if thick enough. It's great! Leaves the lawn like a carpet. We always cut it 3" in the Spring and once it thickens we lower the mower blades to 2". Last year we found Bermuda Grass (a nasty, viney weed) growing in the yard which started choking our beloved Zoysia out. So we are left with the dilemma of spraying expensive weed killer or turning up the yard, leveling it and reseeding with a grass more native to our area. -SIGH-
1 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Yikes! Zoysia grass? That at least resembles what I have out front. No kidding! After the "deluge" we had what looked like a basic lawn it took on a wild appearance and yes... looks a heck of a lot like Zoysia grass does :shifty: .

Fortunately what I have is one of those height adjustable electric mowers so no real problem there. But weather wise, it's starting to seem more like Summer rather than Spring :wideye: Only close to 4 PM pacific time and it's about 80 degrees - and climbing. Once my lawn is dry looks like I'm going to have to get up early enough to tackle mowing the front lawn .... *echoes your SIGH here too*
2 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:04 am

We loved our Zoysia grass when the entire lawn was covered in it. It is a bit stressful on mowers, but it's so thick and like a carpet after it's mowed. The damn Bermuda Grass (a weed) that has crept in is a terror. It creeps and grows like a vine along the ground and sticks a spike through thick grass to reach the soil then chokes out the grass around it. Bermuda grass is so tough to get rid of completely. The weed killer that works has to be a applied AT LEAST twice. Zoysia isn't a common grass around here. It's a warmer climate grass. The winters are supposed to be too harsh for it around here, but every year is comes back and spreads back to bare spots the winter has caused.

Having a dog and as much as the girls like to walk around in bare feet in the summer, I'm not partial to spray strong weed killer. We just might wind up letting the Bermuda grass and Zoysia fight it out this summer. Then fall time we'll more than likely kill the yard's vegetation (grass, weeds and all), regrade the yard and reseed with kentucky blue grass or fescue and some annual ryegrass to help it grow and cover before next winter hits.
1 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:55 am

Sounds similar to my front lawn now (would post a pic of it if I wasn't just on my mobile at present.) yeah, I'm sure once I get a chance it will be hard on my mower too! Ugh Bermuda grass ... what we probably call that here is crab grass and not only an eye sore but heck to mow down once it's grown long enough.

I'm sure once I get a chance I'll probably have to take "shifts" when mowing or I'll be way too exhausted and not much good for anything else the rest of the day.
2 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:33 pm

We have an 18' diameter x 5' tall Intex pool with a saltwater chlorinater and sand filter combo. We put it up every Spring (usually the weekend before Memorial Day weekend) and take it down every fall around late September. So we have a sand ring in our backyard that I top dress and level with about 6 bags of sand at the beginning of every Spring. For the last couple of years there's been bermuda grass that has crept over and covered the 20' diameter sand ring. Last year, before I got ready to spray weed killer over the sand ring I walked to the middle of the ring, cut a small patch out and lifted the bermuda grass. It lifted up and looked like the top of a "big top" circus tent. That's how much that stuff sticks together and sows into itself. The roots are long enough to sink a few inches in the ground, but are very thin so they snap and break with any pressure on the sand ring because there isn't anything to weave its way into or over other than the sand. So I cut all around the edge of the ring with a spade and was able to roll up the bermuda grass.

Unfortunately I had already blew the $$$ on the weed killer.

The stuff is actually purposely planted for ground coverage at one time by many (areas that have erosion issues), but spreads so bad and chokes out lawns many now refer to it as a weed. http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.c ... tures.html The ways to rid it are herbicide treatment. There's other methods, but I'm not removing the top 4 to 6 inches of soil, placing cardboard down and bringing in new 4 to 6 inches of soil. That's crazy!
1 x

MzFish

Post by MzFish » Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 pm

I had my share of rain out west, looking forward to Warner weather to dry things out!

Can't believe it's May 1st already!
1 x
Trust takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair

1-C

Post by 1-C » Mon May 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Mz, hope weather where you are now is like it is up here .... no rain, clear blue skies and nice breeze (although right now more a strong wind) Image :wideye:

Yep, already May.... spring is upon us. Hope you're doing well :)
1 x