I need an opinion...

Do you have a post that does not fit anywhere else in this forum?
If so, post it here.
Kellie
I need an opinion...

Post by Kellie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:16 am

Not long time ago, my daughter received on her Facebook wall message, to forward to everybody on her Friends list (my daughter has more than 1000 Friends).
She did.
So, what you see here is not my daughters name, is from person who sent this message, her phone, so is public, because she/he sent that around the world.
I don't have problem with showing this name. I have big problem with content of message.

To me looked immediately fishy and I wrote so on my daughter Facebook wall.
No need to say, she was offended.
But here, everything is suspicious: Jamaica, out of USA paid airfare for sick cat, and cat really has to come in US. Really?
Why not somewhere else?
So, if somebody agrees, what has to be paid in advance? Fees, vet bills, because air fare is paid. Really?

In order to be called cat hater and I am not (everybody knows that, but I am well known scammers hater), I am asking you all, for your honest opinion.

I forgot to tell you, I looked for that person on Facebook and does exist, but it has nothing to do with cats, only dogs, and I looked for
Cerebellal Hypoplasia (CH) Kitty Club, but I couldn't find anything.
4 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Re: I need an opinion...

Post by Slim » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:05 am

Kellie -

Yes, you have good grounds to be suspicious.
As you guessed, the next step would be to ask the interested parties to pay some fees.

Here are the export requirements from Jamaica
http://moa.gov.jm/VetServices/export_dogs_cats.php

Here are the import requirements for the USA
http://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing ... /cats.html

Cats may be nice animals, but there are certainly a lot of them here. For instance, my subdivision had too many feral cats, and some kind neighbors were catching the cats, bringing them to the veterinarian for neutering and medical examinations. Rather expensive,

I would STRONGLY suggest that people who want to adopt a cat, or contribute to an animal's care, visit their local animal shelter! They can meet the cat (or dog), and help assure both the human and the animal are compatible, before adopting the animal.
4 x

Kellie

Post by Kellie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:20 am

Thank you Slim.
Exactly mine point too.
I imported in US cat from Croatia 5-6 years back.
I remember how much paperwork I should have.
I didn't want to arrive to O'Hare and be rejected because some paper was missing.
And animal should be healthy and it was.

That above is very filthy scam with picture of sick animal.
5 x

Kellie

Re: I need an opinion... first update

Post by Kellie » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:40 am

Since I wrote this, friends made real research and results are mixed.
It could be and could be not, legit :)
They found website http://www.chkittyclub.com/, but members only, so I couldn't check in details.
They found https://www.gofundme.com/2alb1b0
Thank you my friends, I will ask for permission to c/p their detailed results, here.
But question still remains, how could you import sick animal in US?
What are expenses potential owner has to have in order to adopt such cat?
Lot of questions here.
4 x

B-Edwards

Post by B-Edwards » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:46 am

The only way to get an idea if this is a scam is to contact the person in the FB post and see what the details are. Being a cat lover and a pet scam hater, I would be inclined 'cept I am not on FB.

Regarding Health: Feline CH is a disorder, not an infectious disease. It may even be argued that it is a syndrome of the nervous system. Not sure how the USDA/CDC would rule. Maybe there are people, in love with a cat enough to feel compelled to bring it to the US, and not trouble the USDA with details. From what I have read, a CH cat might not be easily diagnosed in Jamaica, some of the hallmark symptoms are just not that apparent. No rabies? No Feluke? No Black Plague? All the shots? Maybe old Puff is ready to make a move after all, maybe even with the full blessing of the USDA.

Me, I would ask the USDA. I am old enough and from a part of the US where the USDA is still respected, and I remember how cattle were sometimes denied entry into some western states from TX, AR & OK, based on the fear of tick borne diseases. You think a scam call from the IRS could get to someone? Just call a cattle ranch and say you are from the USDA, and tell the ranch owner there are a few minor issues that need to be investigated...just a formality... Then listen for the sound of a body hitting the floor.
3 x