One Spring Evening in Omaha

Do you have a post that does not fit anywhere else in this forum?
If so, post it here.
not Michael
One Spring Evening in Omaha

Post by not Michael » Wed May 06, 2015 9:02 pm

A mountain lion was killed by the police less than 7 miles from my house at 5PM today.
http://www.ketv.com/news/mountain-lion- ... d=14020933

There's a severe thunderstorm one county west of me. The forecast says severe thunderstorms, hail, and possibly a tornado 11pm-2am. I may sleep on the futon in the basement tonight.
2 x

not Michael

Re: One Spring Evening in Omaha

Post by not Michael » Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 pm

The lion had to be killed. The area he was in is high-density single-family housing. Several schools. Lots of kids. Less than a mile from I-80. Several thousand people were in danger. A tranquilizer dart takes 20 minutes or more to kick it, and before it kicks in the animal is even more dangerous than normal.

I have my storm radio set to alert to my county and the counties west and south of me. I'll head downstairs when the National Weather Service tells me to. This is normal for my area, but its the first one this year.
2 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 9:33 pm

I agree with BigA, nM!

Once it all passes/is over check in with us, ok! :smileup: stay safe!

Also sorry to hear about the mountain lion! Sadly to ensure the safety of the community they had to take such action ...
2 x

not Michael

Post by not Michael » Wed May 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Its rolling in now. Time to shut down and unplug. The local news starts in 5 minutes. I'll watch before I go to bed. I'll check in tomorrow morning.

This weather is normal for my area this time of year.
2 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Yup, looks like Iowa is also going to be affected too! Going to also be checking for Illinois just in case.

We'll watch for your posts tomorrow nM! :)
2 x

not Michael

Post by not Michael » Thu May 07, 2015 7:20 am

All clear. The storm radio didn't even go off. The tornadoes were 50-150 miles south and west of me. I got 2+ inches of rain. I probably have sticks that need to be picked up.

Lincoln (50 miles away) got 7". There's wide-spread street flooding. I know the county engineer in Lincoln and I'm sure she's up to her eyeballs in emergency repairs and tree removal.

The mountain lion had a broken leg. It is the policy of most wildlife agencies, any mountain lion caught in a city is destroyed. Once the animal learns that there is food near people it becomes to dangerous to live in the wild.
3 x

Herman
Site Admin

Post by Herman » Thu May 07, 2015 9:27 am

Yikes! I drove through Nebraska not that long ago. Omaha to Colorado border. I had never been in a more huge thunderstorm in my life than there. It went on for maybe two hours - Between Lincoln and North Platte. Thunder, lightening, howling winds, rain coming down sideways and on the empty plain you could just see it for miles. It was also like 9pm so the darkness made it that more dramatic!

Nebraska drivers seemed to be not the least bit concerned and zipped along as if it was a normal evening.
4 x

not Michael

Post by not Michael » Thu May 07, 2015 11:54 am

Herman, I remember when you took that trip. Specifically remember telling you to avoid Lincoln on football game day. I don't think we had any severe weather that week. I know we didn't have any in Omaha.

"The National Weather Service defines a severe thunderstorm as having large hail, at least 3/4 inches (0.75 inches) in diameter, and/or damaging winds, at least 58 mph, or 50 knots." per Google, quoting a NWS site.

What you drove through was a normal, routine thunderstorm. I've had them every other day since last Friday. I have one forecast for tonight and Saturday night.
4 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Sun May 10, 2015 7:25 pm

I hope everything is still going well your way NM! :) I'm a bit late to this thread as I didn't come in here yesterday at all. After I came home from visiting with the second oldest step daughter who came in from Washington with one of the twins, I wasn't feeling well.. So stayed off the computer for the evening.
1 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

not Michael

Post by not Michael » Fri May 15, 2015 8:57 pm

And I'm late replying.

I saw my first wall cloud today. I didn't know it was a wall cloud until several hours later when I saw a picture of it on facebook. The picture was posted by my favorite TV station for local weather.

A wall cloud is the last step before a tornado drops. That cloud stayed as a wall cloud from west Omaha, where I am, clear through Council Bluffs, Iowa, across the river from downtown Omaha. That's 30 miles, maybe more, scarring the heck out of more than 400,000 people.

Tonight is supposed to be clear, but tomorrow night may get interesting.
4 x