A trip through memory lane

Do you have a post that does not fit anywhere else in this forum?
If so, post it here.
1-C
Re: A trip through memory lane

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 12:38 pm

There goes my memory! LOL!!!

Sure do. Heck, I rode one of those banana seat bikes (a stingray I believe they called them) for a long time before sitting in the drivers seat in the first car I owned, my sisters (at least a few of them) had those older - not so glamorized - Barbies too, pop tarts ... yep, as a kid loved them! So many bring back memories. Didn't go all the way through to the last one so don't know if they included those Uneeda trolls, had those too (as did my brother)! LOL, guess back then you could say the boys version... definitely no Barbie those! Had troll wars and such too. :rofl:
3 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Wed May 06, 2015 2:05 pm

Oh my gosh! ROFL.. I had the skates and a Midge Doll! I remember the tang in the bottle also and pop tarts where a treat (still are). Silly Putty and Mr. Potato head.. Yup! Had those! Had the chatty cathy doll also. The string broke, mom sent it in to be fixed and we never got it back! :(
I had a hot wheels also. 65 mustang.. rootbeer brown. I remember that one! I don't remember the sketch o'matic. I do remember etch a sketch though.
1 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 2:11 pm

LOL Tami! And not to forget those Mr. Potato heads were actual potatoes too (the kit just had the nose, ears, mouth and feet ... no plastic potatoes.) :wink:

Hmmm wasn't the scetch-o-matic something like the etch a scetch though? And what about those "Doctor Kits" complete with a (soft) plastic Drs hammer (and a few others) and those small candy "pills"! LOL
2 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm wondering if the sketch-o-matic name may be throwing us all off :wink:

Methinks that it's a more recent name for etch a sketch

http://www.rainybayart.com/i/etch/050818-Couple.jpg

http://www.patriciabrowne.com/images/sk ... y12low.gif

New name, new manufacturing Co., new design. I think the guy who originally created Etch-A-Sketch and sold it to Ohio Arts died and someone else bought the rights to create new one's but renamed and slightly redesigned it.

But ah yes, silly putty … had fun with that stuff too! Until I tried "copying" the face off of one of my sisters small teddy bears and it stuck all over. LOL, what can I say I was a curious kid! Another one I remember was the Slinky toy ("What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs. and makes a slinkity sound? A spring, a spring, a marvelous thing! Everyone knows it's Slinky. It's Slinky, it's Slinky, It's fun, it's a wonderful toy. It's Slinky, it's Slinky, it's fun, It's a wonderful toy. It's fun for a girl or a boy."/"Who walks the stairs without a care. It shoots so high in the sky. Bounce up and down just like a clown. Everyone knows its Slinky.")
2 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 5:48 pm

More a novelty toy though :wink:

The Sunday comics, right? I did ... for a while any way and tried to get a bit "creative" and copy/get the impression of a teddy bears face ... got the Silly Putty stuck all over it.

But regarding the Sketch-o-matic, only slightly correct there (the last one made), apparently the one in the link came before Etch-A-Sketch. Which is probably why we never heard of it (too young to remember it when it came out).
2 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Wed May 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Yup! I had a slinky also! LOL!

I kinda liked the Tang! LOL! But I also remember Ovaltine - that was good! Still get some now and then for old times sake. I remembered those skates, we lived in Menlo (?) Park SF.. Driveway was slightly uphill. :lol: ,-- I was around 5/6 years old.

I never had the etch o sketch, my Aunt Gertrude did. I played with it at her house. I do remember getting the doll and slinky's after we moved back to Oroville. :lol:

Yeah, I think I copied news print with the silly putty also.. Dont think I tried the comics! :thinker:
1 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

DM1

Post by DM1 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:50 pm

I remember most of these :wideye:
1 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Tami, you... you were from Oroville once? :wideye: That's not all that far from where I am (been in Sac most of the time I have been in funny California)!

Before moving to Sac I lived in Antioch :wink:

Sounds like you were more into the informative part of the paper with the Silly Putty :wink: Guess that must make BigA and I "characters" then :lol: :tngraz:

At least one of my sisters had the Chatty Cathy though ... me, being a guy, went for the King Zor the Dinosaur - and those hollowed out plastic balls. LOL
3 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 7:01 pm

DM1 wrote:I remember most of these :wideye:
DM1, I think we're all starting to show our ages here too! :wideye:

All of those are pretty much from the 50s and 60s! :wideye: :wideye:
4 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed May 06, 2015 7:54 pm

BigA, sounds similar :wink:

Sunday Funnies and yep both local papers too! That along with comic books (no, none of those funny animal kind ... or similar... either), all super hero and mostly Marvel (which my best friend got me hooked on. lol)
2 x