Got SPAM email? Here is why....

This might be a little duplicative of another subforum here ... but it can be used as a place to post "sightings" of a scam ... without posting a defense or solution.
(If too redundant, the topic can be deleted)
Tamianth
Re: Got SPAM email? Here is why....

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:00 pm

by Guest on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 am
Received an email from Senator Rubio FL, about contacting their office. All header(yahoo) info looks correct as from the US Senate. Had contacted the CFPB last week asking how they wanted complaints filed under networks concerning the Department of Education. I did give personal info that did not include email address but had mentioned various filed BBB reports on companies within the network. Contacted Rubio's office for more info, got the voice mail message to leave info, so now it's a waiting game. Can't believe that a call to the CFPB would work so fast. I did ask for contact info and what call center the CFPB agent was working at and she gave the "security concerns" disclaimer. I then asked if she had worked in collections before and received a chuckle.
1 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:00 pm

by CelticDragon on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:13 pm
Thanks for clarifying Sir B.
Guest, be VERY careful with opening spam emails-I usually just chuck them after running the handle
1 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:01 pm

by psy on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:31 pm
As kind of an aside to this (and not to take anything away from the topic posting(s). There are many vectors for email addresses to find their way to spammer's hands)...

Over the years on various email lists and forums I've been in, now and then a member would go on a rant on how a particular email address of theirs was getting tons of spam, and angrily expound their theory as to which organization's fault it was/sold them out. In those cases where I knew the complainer's email address, I'd google it, and invariably find that the griping party had published it "un-munged" in many forums all over the web, making easy picking for spammer's web-scraping bots.

Some things you just can't explain to some people.
1 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:01 pm

by CelticDragon on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:11 pm
There's a new handle going around-it ends with '. uno . abc. now, dot abc is a pre-register i found out.
1 x