The lull is over

This might be a little duplicative of another subforum here ... but it can be used as a place to post "sightings" of a scam ... without posting a defense or solution.
(If too redundant, the topic can be deleted)
Slim
Curmudgeon
Re: The lull is over

Post by Slim » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:18 pm

JoeMama -

Reference your website ... I would suspect you have your phone number listed there, in TEXT format.
Such a listing is very easy to harvest, when the scammers 'bots scan business websites.
Instead of using plain text, try displaying your phone number as an image, or as a bit of JavaScript code ... both of those techniques are somewhat effective, in that humans can read the numbers, but 'bots have some difficulty.

Since your number is already "out there", you will continue to get calls from scammers, but (usually), the frequency of such calls diminishes after several months (at least, it did in my case).

Oh ... another source of phone numbers for the bad guys was my site's registration! I did not use a "privatizer", so my real name, address, and phone number were harvestable.

(Caveat: I am not referring to my little anti-scam site hosted by free webhosts... I have others, not related to scams, under my name)
1 x