Experts: Home, baby cameras not secure worldwide

This might be a little duplicative of another subforum here ... but it can be used as a place to post "sightings" of a scam ... without posting a defense or solution.
(If too redundant, the topic can be deleted)
Tamianth
Experts: Home, baby cameras not secure worldwide

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:06 pm

by Slim on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:32 pm
The next, new scare ... the bad guys might be watching YOUR baby monitor, webcam or home security cameras. Apparently, a Russian site is hacking into those cameras, and publishing the info on the site.

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/495d344 ... 1beb426200

So, smile for the camera! :tiphat:
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Re: Experts: Home, baby cameras not secure worldwide

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:07 pm

by BigA on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:31 pm
I have heard that many times before, especially with the webcams.

by Tamianth on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:47 pm
I only have a built in web cam on my net book. I discombobulated the program more or less and placed a small price sticker over the camera. :evilyes:

I've heard a lot of these things also. Thats why I placed the sticker over it. I don't have any use for it anyway. I did that after reading the news story where some school vice principle had turned on the camera on a kid who was sitting at his kitchen table with a friend dividing up skittles. They pulled this kid into the office and accused him of dealing drugs..

Not to mention that some of the rent to owns to have abused these features! :affraid:
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:09 pm

by 1-C on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:09 pm
discombobulated the program more or less and placed a small price sticker over the camera. :evilyes:

LOL! Simple but effective!

Yea, same here. If it's not the prying/spying Russians it's the Chinese. I'm sure they are not just doing it to us here in the U.S. too!

:wideye: :affraid: Oh geez... now ya tell me. I'm sure it's not just the Rent to Own Computer stores either that probably do it too. :shifty: :| :mad:
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:09 pm

by Herman on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm
Oh yeah! Have known about this for years! However, its not the cams or monitors, its the local network you're on. If you secure that with WPA/PSK2 (AES) security and add a diabolical password, you'll be good to go.

True story: I had several of these in the very early 2000's. They were totally secure then, that wasn't the issue but I did see several things that didn't please me. No abuse or anything like that. More, the nanny watching hour after hour of soaps, while the baby rocked and rocked in a baby swing. We also observed her helping herself to our beverages and watched her rifle through drawers.

All recorded. When I confronted her, she said I had no right! Uh, no! My house, your place of employment and state law on my side. Fired her, told her to sue if she didn't like it and that was that. She never did and disappeared. Glad I had the cams!
0 x