Monitor problem?

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
Herman
Site Admin
Re: Monitor problem?

Post by Herman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:33 am

A white screen, sort of a dull white-gray usually indicates the monitor is not fully connected. Can be at either end. The vga connector may be loose where it goes into the monitor itself, at the pc end or even both. If this is not the case, the second thing to look at is the video card. Often reseating it is all it takes. If pci, move it to a secondary slot. If agp or even more modern, remove the card and hit it with a shot of compressed air especially if the card itself has a cooling fan.

All that isn't doing it for you? Try a secondary card or plug the monitor into a secondary device (as you did) which proves the monitor itself is functioning properly. Next, use a second machine and download the most up-to-date driver for the video card. Since it can't start in safe mode, try going for command prompt only and running that way. If that fails, yeah, time for a new video card. Its very rare a video card will simply up and die but you never know. I'd bet its something loose.
3 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:50 pm

BigA, have you at least tried rapidly pressing the F8 key? If no other way to get into safe mode (with networking)… that may be one approach. If possible, that may allow you to still be able to access the internet.

Once that's done you can access either by selecting/pressing the Enter Key...

I'm also wondering if the PSU is plugged in correctly or if there's a possible short in the VGA cable. I'd hate to think that someone managed to sneakily sneak into your system and installed the "White Screen virus" on your system! :mad:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-white-screen-virus/

(The above article is a few years old. But just in case it may still help if it is that damned virus)
2 x

Herman
Site Admin

Post by Herman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:05 pm

BigA wrote:None of the buttons on the monitor work either, like the menu button. Is there some way to hook it up to the laptop to test it? I have a port, but it didn't come on when I connected it so maybe I have to tell the laptop to turn it on?
ABSOLUTELY! If the laptop has a vga port, pop it right in there. Then, (on some laptops) you need to press one of the "F" keys to route the video from the laptop screen to the external monitor. If you list the name and model of the laptop we can find that out in short order.

No, it sounds more like the monitor than the built-in vga card. You can, if it turns out to be the vga card, purchase a new pci video card for like $10. Put it in, boot, go to the bios and disable the built-in permanently. Start with the laptop test first though.
2 x

Herman
Site Admin

Post by Herman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Yep, I see a pic of it from the site below: port is on the left side.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspir ... 970.0.html

Once the external monitor is connected and you've booted up the laptop, press FN & F5 to route to the larger screen.

"Acer Aspire 5253-BZ480:
Ctrl-Alt-ESC while computer boots activates the setup menu; system config; advanced sys config;
display device; LCD/CRT FN + F5"
2 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:01 pm

BigA,

I hope it works this time!

Crossing my fingers that it does. Not sure how many other ways to try there are ...
2 x

Herman
Site Admin

Post by Herman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Sounds like it may actually be a dead monitor. Do you have one you can snitch from somewhere just to test in your pc/laptop. That will tell the story.
3 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:35 pm

:-D BigA, that's good news!

:wink: Glad to have you back ... via new monitor (or at least a fixed and working one).
3 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:12 pm

Glad to see you got this issue fixed Big A.. :-D The monitor sounds nice too!
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

1-C

Post by 1-C » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm

:) Ya gotta love those larger monitors!

My work laptop only has a 17" monitor, while my desktop about 4" more... give or take a little for the area around them. But ... I hear you on the larger sized ones.
1 x

1-C

Post by 1-C » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:08 am

LOL! I find I have to take my glasses off when sitting down to read a screen ... before (on the older computer I had - CRT monitor) I had to squint now nah! Can read it fine. That's kids for ya though ... do the opposite of what you tell them :lol: . :think: For some reason they think they know more than us. :thinker:
1 x