Microsoft just screwed me

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:42 pm

Post by BigA on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:53 pm
Well I got up and the comp worked fine this morning. Windows update said there were 17 updates so I downloaded them. I left the house after shutting off the comp. Came v home turned it on and it goes into startup repair. Tried safe mode same thing. Says several minutes but seems like several hours and no results. Can't. Do my homework that is due tomorrow so I get a zero for it. Had to write this from my kindle. Windows 7 64 bit. Any suggestions short of reformat? Just told me can't fix.

by BigA on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:18 pm
Ok well I just managed to get into system restore. I reset it, it told me it couldn't fix it, but here I am. Up and running. So now it wants we to up date again same ones as this morning. No way in H is that gonna happen.
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Re: Microsoft just screwed me

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 pm

by Tamianth on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:20 pm
I had a problem with something like this on my old compaq, it was in the download itself on their end. I had to reformat and re-install completely sadly. It was in the net frame work update. I ended up re-installing all the downloads except that one. They finally fixed the download. But I waited a long time before I ever updated that one on its own. :shifty:
And people wonder why I call it micro swiss cheese! :lol:

Will it reboot into safe mode? If you can get it there, you can take it back to before the update..

Edited to add! Oh good! Glad to hear this.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 pm

by BigA on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:41 pm
i have another name for them Micros (can't say that word in mixed company but it sort of rhymes with it). when it wouldn't go into safe mode I had visions of a reformat and losing 195 gigs of stuff on my computer with no place to back it up and no way to get a lot of redownloaded.

My one friend had that happen with one of his Compag and it took me a couple of months to figure out how to get most of his information off the hard drive. I did it though.

No time for that nonsense now, I'm in the middle of midterms, got a job i have to do, and got homework due all by Sunday.

Good thing this didn't happen this morning or would have flunked that Psychology test today because i would have been really upset over it all day until i got home..
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:45 pm

by Tamianth on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Get one of those USB drives and save all your important stuff over to it just in case! Those have come down in price a lot. I have a couple I use to save stuff to. Its probably a good thing most of my stuff is only things like clip art, which is backed up already.

Oh that compaq was a real lulu. The recovery discs sucked, some things I had to unzip by hand since they wouldn't do so on their own. They really messed it up. :shifty: It was so annoying I unzipped them to regular program discs as it was easier to re-install from them.

This one is a independent made, have had it rebuilt once. Its been the best and I will probably have it rebuilt again when it dies down the road again. All it has is windows period basically, none of the junk stuff name brands dump on theirs.
0 x

Tamianth

by BigA on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:30 pm
I had a Compaq at the same time my friend did, we used to joke that whenever you called up their tech support, their only solution was "Reformat". It seemed be true as well, every time I ever called them up that is what they told me. I was really disappointed that HP bought them out. I have an HP now, had a Gateway that was good because they were made here and they got bought out and the second Gateway i bought was a piece of junk. Blue Screen of Death every 15 minutes on the dot. windows Vista system. I wish i could get a well built computer around here, but the last one of those i bought was a piece of junk also. Windows 8 supposedly is junk, so as long as this one works I am keeping it.
0 x

Tamianth

by Tamianth on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:43 pm
Same here! I found this outfit through the school, they built the schools computers and had a excellent track record. They work out of their homes now. I kept the one tech's contact info and I had her rebuild this one. The mother board died. So we updated everything to dual core then. Everything else still works good. It still has a A drive, zip drive and I did buy a external HP Light scribe dvd burner. Thats about the only update equipment I have put in it. Its about 12 years old or so.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:13 am

by BigA on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:57 pm
The highest usb flash drive i could find is 128 gigs. i have 195 gigs to back up (lots of video and no that kind Laughing ). 2 of those drives will cost me around $100 at amazon. Just found a 4 terabit external drive for $128.95 from Western Digital on amazon. I have one of their 3 tb ones and am thrilled with it. Going to buy it in the next couple of days and back every thing up. This has woken me back up, i have way to much on here to lose if this happens again and i can't recover from it.

If my typing seems to be going downhill it is because i have been up since 4 this morning getting ready for college and studying up to the last minute for the psychology mid term.

Motherboard is probably the only thing i haven't changed yet. I was thinking of building my own computer but I have a hard time finding recommendations on the parts. I have few empty towers here that i could use. Just not sure what parts to buy since there seems to be so many different ones.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:14 am

by 1-C on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 pm
Ack! That's almost needing to buy another flash drive for the rest you need to back up Shocked

However, I did manage to find a USB drive that seems to handle up to 512 GB (and even one that's up to 1 TB)

http://www.kingston.com/us/company/press/article/6487

Kingston DataTraveler HyperX Predator 3.0
Part Number Capacity and Features
DTHXP30/512GB DataTraveler HyperX Predator USB 512GB
DTHXP30/1T DataTraveler HyperX Predator USB 1TB

http://www.kingston.com/us/hyperx/usb#DTHXP30

and also on amazon.com too:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... cziww1j0_e

However they all look pretty expensive! :affraid: But scrolling down there also happens to be a U32 Shadow (capacity 1TB) for only $89.95 … but 16 left.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:15 am

by BigA on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:21 am
Well the first two are definitely out of my price range. :lol: And if I am going to pay $90 for 1 TB, I might as well put the other $40 and get 3 more TB storage. But thanks for the suggestions. I could just see me putting all that important stuff onto a thumb drive and then either losing it or forgetting where I put it, never to be found again! :headbang: :lol: :affraid:
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 am

by 1-C on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:22 pm
:lol: Yea, I know. Not much in way of selection when considering the price range. Too bad the more affordable ones only hold 128 GB, hmmm ... perhaps getting another one that holds 128 GB? I found a 100 GB flash drive (Super Talent 100GB USB3.0 Express RC8 Flash Drive) at amazon but ... at $305! :affraid:

(Though the PNY 128 and Sandisk cruzer 128 GB flash drives are a lot more affordable Wink)

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Talent-100G ... B005NP2S2K

scratch Maybe with 2 finding a safe and easily accessible place for both. But do agree with you on that other name for MS ... me and my GF have always had our own favorate too ... microsucks! lol!
0 x