Question - upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:38 pm

by not Michael on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 pm

I have a computer question and you folks are the most computer-savvy people I know. I am not a computer professional. For me a computer is an essential tool and a cool toy. But when it comes to the inner workings of a computer, I don’t have a clue.

I’m using XP, and that becomes a security nightmare very soon. I found a Microsoft site where you can upgrade to Windows 7. But the instructions say you need an external hard drive to save your files so you can transfer them to 7. I’m using Office 07, but I don’t know where the installation CDs are.

The only odd programs I on my computer are Picasa for photo processing and Kaye Program for running a data logger I use at work. If they don’t transfer I can download them again from the websites.

My computer was made-to-order by a local computer repair firm. That happened when my older computer was no longer large enough to run XP and Microsoft was pushing Vista.

I have run Windows 7 Compatibilty Advisor. It says my computer is fine for Windows 7, but I might have a problem with my printer. The printer is 13 years old. Its probably time for a new one. That’s not a problem.

Now for my question.
I don’t have very many files to transfer – only 240 MB. I have an empty USB drive that holds 480 MB. Do I really have to go buy an external hard drive to make the upgrade? Or can I copy my files to my USB drive instead? Is there anything else in installing and running Windows 7 I need that external hard drive for?

Thanks,
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Re: Question - upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:39 pm

by CelticDragon on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:33 pm
nM, I can ask my tech guy that for you-I should have a reply back in about 8 hours or so
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:39 pm

by not Michael on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:55 am
Thanks. Buying a hard drive wouldn't be a catastrophe. There's an office supply place about 10 miles from my house. But going into town would take time I'm planning to use cleaning up the limbs and trash the wind dropped in my yard over the winter.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 pm

by CelticDragon on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:16 am
nM-talked to my tech guy, you can just use the USB-you don't need the external. Just be prepared for a totally different interface!
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 pm

by not Michael on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:21 am
Thanks. And thank your friend for me. I've been using Window 7 at work for several years. I'm just too cheap to upgrade at home.

I think I'll start copying my files in the next minute or two, then go outside and do yard work.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 pm

by Herman on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 am
not Michael wrote:
I have a computer question and you folks are the most computer-savvy people I know. I am not a computer professional. For me a computer is an essential tool and a cool toy. But when it comes to the inner workings of a computer, I don’t have a clue.

I’m using XP, and that becomes a security nightmare very soon. I found a Microsoft site where you can upgrade to Windows 7. But the instructions say you need an external hard drive to save your files so you can transfer them to 7. I’m using Office 07, but I don’t know where the installation CDs are.

The only odd programs I on my computer are Picasa for photo processing and Kaye Program for running a data logger I use at work. If they don’t transfer I can download them again from the websites.

My computer was made-to-order by a local computer repair firm. That happened when my older computer was no longer large enough to run XP and Microsoft was pushing Vista.

I have run Windows 7 Compatibilty Advisor. It says my computer is fine for Windows 7, but I might have a problem with my printer. The printer is 13 years old. Its probably time for a new one. That’s not a problem.

Now for my question.
I don’t have very many files to transfer – only 240 MB. I have an empty USB drive that holds 480 MB. Do I really have to go buy an external hard drive to make the upgrade? Or can I copy my files to my USB drive instead? Is there anything else in installing and running Windows 7 I need that external hard drive for?

Thanks,

First off, have no fear about the end of Windows XP support. Its true that service patches and security updates will end soon but this will not prevent your computer from working and being secure for a long time to come. It simply means, Microsoft wants to end its support for this operating system and you're basically on your own for security. Many have stepped up to the plate and will continue to provide coverage until you're darn well good and ready to move on from XP whether that be today or two years from now. I am "speaking" to you from an XP machine right now and have no plans on changing it in the near future.

With all that said, if you do wish to upgrade to Windows 7 (stay away from Win8), get the upgrade from any reputable software dealer and run it. It is most likely you run Windows XP 32-bit edition. If you wish to stay with that for Windows 7, do so. It will be much easier and you can upgrade to the much faster 64-bit edition when you either get a new computer or decide to do a formal format and installation on your existing one. This is a lot of work and will require the re-installation of all drivers and software. Just stay 32-bit for now.

No, you do not need an external hard drive for the small amount of data you wish to transfer. In fact you need no hard drive or flash drive at all. Back it all up to the cloud. Use dropbox or google or any other free backup locations to temporarily store your data, upgrade the drive, then connect back to cloud and download. Should take no time at all.

If you provide details on the 13-year old printer. I will advise whether or not it will be compatible with Windows 7. Chance are very good it will be usable by means of a "universal driver" that is designed to allow older but functional printers access to the faster and more robust Windows 7

Any issues, contact here or by pm
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 pm

by Tamianth on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 am
NM, looks like that makes two of us. I was thinking of upgrading my PC from XP to 7 also. :-D My netbook runs 7 and I kinda like it.

Herman, thanks for the tips! I'm only considering it myself at this point. Its good to know there's no rush. :hapsmile:
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:42 pm

by CelticDragon on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:51 am
not Michael wrote:
Thanks. And thank your friend for me. I've been using Window 7 at work for several years. I'm just too cheap to upgrade at home.

I think I'll start copying my files in the next minute or two, then go outside and do yard work.

You're welcome from me and him, and like Herman said, WHATEVER you do, DON'T buy Windows 8!
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:42 pm

by not Michael on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:34 pm
Thanks.

It looks like I need to go into town and buy Windows 7. The Microsoft site says my computer is compatible, but it won't sell me 7. And I know I don't want 8.

Is Windows 7 available at office supply places? The sites for Office Depot and Office Max keep directing me to Windows 8.

UPDATE
I just found Windows 7 at DIT, the local computer place that made my computer and sold me XP.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:43 pm

by CelticDragon on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:02 pm
not Michael wrote:
Thanks.

It looks like I need to go into town and buy Windows 7. The Microsoft site says my computer is compatible, but it won't sell me 7. And I know I don't want 8.

Is Windows 7 available at office supply places? The sites for Office Depot and Office Max keep directing me to Windows 8.

UPDATE
I just found Windows 7 at DIT, the local computer place that made my computer and sold me XP.

That's because they will only sell 8 on the site-it's bull puckey, I know
0 x