Interesting anti-spam technique

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Post by Sir Bedevere on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am

I feel as if this ought to come with a clickbait headline like "Discourage email spammers with this one weird trick!" It *is* weird but it *does* appear to work...

I have my own domain name and my hosting account allows up to 300 email addresses(!) with the plan I have. I actually use a couple of dozen – often using, say, "costco@maydomain.com", to tag email from a particular source – and have them all forward to my main email address. For new accounts or places I don't trust (if I expect them to start spamming me) I use "discard" plus a two-digit number. I've only been doing this for a couple of years now but I'm already up to discard20. But guess which "discard" address has still never been spammed? It's "discard13" of course! It's said that fear of the number 13 is the most common superstition on the world and it appears that even spammers are prey to it.
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Re: Interesting anti-spam technique

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:10 pm

by Herman on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:37 pm
Maybe you should use an email address with triskaidekaphobia somewhere in the name! :tngraz:

I can see what your saying but wouldn't all those accounts be confusing?
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!