Factory installed spyware

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:34 pm

Post by BigA on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:14 am
I just came across this article about a program that was shipped factory installed by Lenovo. Not sure if it comes with any other computer, but It enables hackers to easily get your banking information and passwords. there are instructions on where to go to see if you have it and how to uninstall it.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/superfish- ... 12749.html
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Re: Factory installed spyware

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:36 pm

by Tamianth on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:57 pm
And things like this is why I chose to have a computer built by a unknown brand..

Note: Might want to look into having one built. They hold up well and you can add just the programs you want and not have accept a lot of in house special programs etc. :evilyes:

I have never regretted having this one built.. Not so fond of my little acer netbook! Filled with a ton of junk that I removed a lot of. It still has stuff on it I don't like. :shifty:
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:36 pm

by BigA on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:08 pm
I have one of those notebooks. got for for less than 400 from Staples. they got it for me when I was in the hospital for 5 months back in 2011. love it. Still use it on occasion. Kept me entertained playing my tv shows and movies on it. Needed to get headphones though cause the speakers really suck. Yes you need to take all the garbage off of any new computer. first thing to go is the wild tangent stuff because that is all spyware. Then i remove all the other junk. I had a guy build me a computer once, but it was a terrible system. nothing but problems. I would like to build my own, but i don't know how to pick out the important stuff like the motherboard and cpu.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:37 pm

by Tamianth on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:56 pm
The company that I had build mine built the computers for the schools here. So I had the inside scoop on them. Their still working out of their homes to my knowledge. I take my computer in to her shop at her home if need be.. I had her rebuild it when the mother board went south. Memory is important, what it comes with, I double it, and the processor needs to be fairly fast to keep up with me.

It actually lasted me 6 years, and the HD is still on a 80.. I have never used enough to know it! I'm working on 4 with the rebuild to duo core. At that I find it slow sometimes.. Still has most of the original parts, A drive, Zip drive, and they all work still. I did replace one of the drives to a DVDRW but have since also added a independent Light scribe set up! I love the light scribe - no labels needed. Flip it over and do the label. And I can use it to load things on the net book I want..
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:37 pm

by BigA on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:46 pm
i have an HP tower for my desktop that seems to be holding up pretty good. 1 TB hard drive and yes I have filled it up along with my 3 TB external. I have never used the light scribe since it cost quite a bit more for the DVDs. I go through a lot with the movies and TV shows I have. i also have an external blue ray burner. Waiting to see what this windows 10 looks like. I might end up going Mac though. Don't like windows constant updates to the updates to the updates. Also don't like bill gates politic especially since he got in bed with ex mayor bumberg to pass that legislation in Washington state.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:38 pm

by Tamianth on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:04 pm
I don't go through too overly many, so use those rather then wasting ink and the paper labels that don't stick so well. You can use any picture you want on them though, which I do like. I found the best buy's on those are generally off eBay though. I'm stocked up fairly well though so won't need to buy for awhile. :hapsmile:

My light scribe is a HP, its held up well, its about 5 years old now. It can be turned off so I keep it turned off until I need it. Keep it plugged into the front usb for quick change over between the netbook and the tower.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:46 pm

by 1-C on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 pm
Tami, that acer you had (still have... somewhere) sounds a lot like the dell my niece had once. LOL, she didn't like that one either (much the same problems you had with the acer :shifty: ).

Do much the same as you with the HP All-In-One I have, but ... only annoyance is that every time I turn it on it tends to check the ink supply level (which wastes both ink and paper :evilno: ). But I still get by okay :hapsmile:

But, according to the article BigA posted, I'm thankful I never invested in a Leveno.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:46 pm

by Tamianth on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:12 pm
Yup, I still have it. Its only about 3 years old. I got it for reading actually and games - and taking with me so I can keep in touch. It will hold a lot of ebooks!
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:56 pm

by 1-C on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:17 pm
Hmmmm ... a sort of storage and reading system more so these days (from how it sounds) :wink:
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:58 pm

by Herman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:49 pm
Good info Big A! I knew about this issue for maybe two weeks now but didn't even think to post it! Yep, that is a very appropriate scanner to detect this embedded malware. By now, its also incorporated into Malwarebytes (a free/commercial use malware checking program). as well as the Kaspersky checker as well.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwareby ... i_malware/

Think you got malware like the Lenovo type? use:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/
0 x