Adblocking On Browsers

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
Tamianth
Adblocking On Browsers

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Adblocking On Browsers

Post by Herman on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:38 pm

I use Firefox and all links here are for the firefox browser. Chrome users can search for these same addons in Chromeland.

Abine (Blur) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... trackplus/

Addon Blur has become particularly irritating since being purchased from abine but it still works. You need to create an account for some reason now (I use throwaway email like mailinator) but you also need to modify it to prevent the constant reminders about how good a job its doing for you. To do this, simply install blur, register it with a junk email account, then click on settings and uncheck everything except "show medals" (to see how many sites and times you've actually blocked tracking). Blur does a fine enough job and runs intrusion detection just fine without you seeing all the popups blur itself creates.

Adblock Plus https://adblockplus.org/en/

A must for any Firefox or Chrome user. If you're using Internet Explorer for any other reason than an older webpage designed for it only like many state or federal government sites, shame on you!

Flashblock http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Amazing! Works! Will stop all animated adds cold! You'll notice a strange symbol of a circle with a lowercase " f " where the flash ads used to be. If you are dying to see the ads, click on the "f" and they'll run for you. Youtube is affected by this but in a good way. When you click on a youtube link, it won't start playing immediately, if now waits until you click on the symbol. For me, this is beneficial.

Behind the Overlay https://github.com/NicolaeNMV/BehindTheOverlay

A newcomer that works fine for these "new" type and most irritating popups generated by the website itself. The ones that cover 75% to 95% percent of the screen when you open a webpage. The type that cajole you to sign-up for a subscription to the site itself or want you take a some sort of survey or sell you the sites latest features. With this addon, they are GONE!
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Re: Adblocking On Browsers

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 pm

by CelticDragon on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:40 am
I use ABP myself Herman-never had an issue with that. I doubt that Flashblocker would block stupid flash ads on Skype however.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 pm

by Yoda1725 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:00 pm
Try Adblock Edge for Firefox, it's much better than Adblock Plus.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:30 pm

by Herman on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:18 pm
Adblock Edge is simply a fork (program modified from an original) which adds or takes away some feature.

With regard to Adblock Edge, It's a later release of the original Adblock and Adblock Plus. Apparently, with Adblock, the writer decided to "allow" certain ads from a German company which he supported, through the filter. This was obviously unacceptable to users whose very objective was to surf the internet ad free. Hence, Adblock Plus. There was also some controversy that the allegations about Adblock may not have even been true and that German newspapers, worried about this new addon would have a critical revenue stream substantially disrupted by the application.

Adblock Plus is itself a fork from Adblock, minus the very obscure German ads. The Plus versions' latest release is very stable with a current usage rate of 17 million+

How is Adblock Edge any better or more stable, considering the code is an exact fork of the other two? Its distribution will quickly shake any existing issues out however. Unless there is a compelling reason to use yet another less tested forked version of whats already there and established, why bother?

:thinker:
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:30 pm

by Yoda1725 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:24 pm
With ABP I was getting some ads, even though I "unchecked" the box to allow some ads, but in ABE, it's no longer a problem for me.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:31 pm

by CelticDragon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:49 pm
Yoda, please keep in mind that what works for you personally might not work for other people. I'm not trying to be mean here, just making a point.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:31 pm

by yef on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:43 pm
Once I installed AdBlock Plus, it took care of all ads. It's worked so well I have no need to try anything else. That's been my experience anyway. YMMV.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:32 pm

by Yoda1725 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:02 pm
CelticDragon wrote:
Yoda, please keep in mind that what works for you personally might not work for other people. I'm not trying to be mean here, just making a point.

No problem! :-D
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:32 pm

by CelticDragon on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 pm
Thank you for understanding how I meant my comment there Yoda.
0 x