Microsoft just screwed me

Several folks associated with 800Aux have decent experience with computers and their problems. Try leaving your questions or answers here, and help each other out.
Tamianth
Re: Microsoft just screwed me

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 am

by BigA on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:47 pm
I decided to go through my drawer with miscellaneous computer stuff and found several externals. Enough to move all my stuff that is important over. Already moved my college stuff and pics and some movies over. I have some other documents and some other things, so maybe i have enough room to get everything backed up. It just won't all be on one external, but i really don't care about that i long as i don't lose it
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:17 am

by 1-C on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:04 pm
Good thinking! A place where, although not on the computers HD, all can be saved just in case old micros_ _ _/microsucks and any of their some times buggy/troublesome updates won't wreak any havoc on important stuff. Also, in finding those externals ... no need to spend on new externals (flash or other hard drives), a savings in that way too :-D
0 x

Tamianth

by BigA on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:13 pm
i have tons of stuff here, maybe i should inverntory it one day. Cables, hard drives, pci cards, DVD burners, you name it i have it here. I have a couple of old towers here also. Gee maybe its time to have a winter cleaning? The thing is I never know what i might need so i hate to throw it out. DVD burner goes bad, no problem got one here to replace it. Ethernet goes bad, no problem got one of those here also. And yes i have had an ethernet connection go bad on me from a power outage that fried it through the cable modem even though i had routed it through the battery backup surge protectors.
0 x

Tamianth

by 1-C on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:18 pm
BigA, sounds similar too here with me. Several external HD's, one flash drive along with one laptop (for work, but also use a little at home), router connected to several desktops (+ the laptop), and one of my desktops (iMac) with Airport so I can get online on my iPhone. A lot of equipment. And yep, a few spare ethernet cables when one goes bad (whether there's a break at the end or else where or for some other reason).
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:18 am

by Tamianth on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:59 pm
Ditto here also! :lol: I tend to keep working parts for when something does go south. Not a whole lot, but I do have some parts if need be.
0 x

Tamianth

by MidNYteStorm on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:14 am
I have had it with Microsoft and their nonsense. It started slowly with my laptop having off and on issues connecting to the router. Recently I discovered that it might be a manufacturer issue. Then comes this nonsense with this MS Office suite and having to pay a licensing fee after a year. I simply don't need the aggravation and will be getting another laptop. I almost wish this was an MS Surface, cause I might recycle it by turning into a beverage coaster or maybe even use it to keep a table level.
0 x

Tamianth

by BigA on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:57 pm
I don't know what you use in office, but here are two suggestions. First you can get open office for free and it will do the same things as MS Office. They also have plug in where you can open a pdf and edit it. Second you can purchase MS home and Student office for around 140 bucks and own it. Has almost everything that office has, at least the important stuff. You can get that at Amazon.
0 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:19 am

by MidNYteStorm on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:15 pm
I bought it a little over year ago since it didn't come on my laptop. Now I am unable to create new documents. But I can work on existing ones.
Nonetheless, I am not sure I would buy another Windows laptop anyway.
0 x

Tamianth

by BigA on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:55 pm
i haven't had any problems with windows 7 until this last update. i was using home and student for my assignments until just recently when the college made office 365 available for free for us. I like the features, but not the cloud platform. But in any case I was using open office exclusively for my personal stuff and home and student for the school work but it is too much of a hassle to switch between the two. So right now I have no choice, even if i had a mac i would have to use word.
0 x

Tamianth

by MidNYteStorm on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:00 pm
I see so you are in one of those situations where Office is the preferred choice. My mom was using Word Perfect in the office works in. They switched to Word and she hates its.
0 x