Phone Tray Free (PTF)

There are several call blocker apps, devices or services. Some may be more effective than others. If you wish, post your experiences, comments or comparisons here.
Slim
Curmudgeon
Phone Tray Free (PTF)

Post by Slim » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:40 pm

The old 800auxiliary Open forum had several posts concerning Phone Tray Free.
I'll try to move at least some of them here, for visitors who are interested ...

Re: Blocking entire area codes

Post by Slim on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:55 pm
After looking at the PT documentation with the correct pair of glasses Smile I can safely report the correct syntax for "wildcard" blocks. Look at the following image for more info:

1 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Re: Phone Tray Free (PTF)

Post by Slim » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Fringe Benefits of PhoneTray

Post by NYC-HDL on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:29 pm
There seems to be some side-benefits of PhoneTray in that the "tone messages" used to Zap calls keep your number from being included when the calling organizations sell their call lists to other (unscrupulous) companies...

Other than political calls, I am getting significantly fewer "new" unwanted callers.
1 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Post by Slim » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:51 pm

PhoneTrayFree Version Question

Post by Indigo Jon on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:20 am
I can't remember where, but somewhere I read that the best free version was 1.31, and whoever wrote the information said not to use any version higher than 1.37, but I can't remember why. I am using Windows 7, and using Herman's link posted in December, have downloaded 1.39. Tomorrow I'll have my internal modem ready, and can begin testing. Are there any issues with 1.39 that would make 1.31 a better choice, and if a person wanted, could 1.31 be even found? (I didn't find it on any torrent sites).

PhoneTrayFree v1.39

Post by Indigo Jon on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:35 pm
Are you using 1.39 with Windows 7? The post which recommended not using a version higher than 1.31 was posted by "valentino_morfeo" on 7 SEP 13, page 1 of 800notes.com/forums:

"I am still using version 1.31 and still is free and working fine. I think that the old versions still work for free.Do not update to 1.37 or 139."

I would be interested if Herman has any comment on this, as he seems to be extremely knowledgeable in regard to PhoneTray

Re: PhoneTrayFree Version Question

Post by NYC-HDL on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:39 pm
Yes, I am using version 1.39 with Windows 7 Pro -- no issues (not sure what I should be looking for in the way of issues w/ Win 7)

Just a guess, but the warning not to upgrade to 1.37 or 1.39 MIGHT be because PUBLIC links to those versions will result in downloading the PRO version, and fool you into uninstalling the FREE version...

Post by Slim on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:12 pm

NYC-HDL wrote:
Also, there were some comments I saw in 800Notes about the Pro version sending data back to it's servers,

True.
The Pro accesses an online PhoneTray database, to check for pre-reported scam numbers.

In addition to that service, Pro also offers a "dial out" capability.
Cannot see any other significant changes yet (although it was promised that PT Pro would eventually have a recording capability, so calls could be recorded)

v1.39

Post by Herman on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:13 am

Indigo Jon wrote:
As I wrote earlier, I was wondering if Herman would have any thoughts on whether there would be any difference in trying to get v1.31, or using the v1.39 that I downloaded using the link he had provided in December? My modem will be arriving this afternoon, and I'm anxious to get started with PTF.

No, definitely stick with v1.39 from my link. 1.31 is just an older version that had a few errors. 1.39 is still the one to use for no

Post by Slim on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Herman wrote:
Sorry I've been away and haven't had a chance to jump on the phonetray wagon. Will be free hopefully this weekend and can start adding the phonetray screenshots.

We are exeriencing a rare "sleet day" in South Central TX, so I had time to make some screenshots to give Herman a hand.

Here is the setup screen:

Here is one page of the PT listing of all incoming calls. Note "Zapped" was automagically added when PT ... err ... zapped a call.

And, here is the Privacy Manager page, wherein one can set up the parameters for accepting or rejecting (zapping) a call, after selecting "Add to Privacy Manager" for any incoming call, or when one clicks on the combination lock icon:

Post by Slim on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Indigo Jon wrote:
it was logged as "N/A" with no number.

That happens, sometimes. See image below.

Phonetray Free 1.39 Download

Post by Herman on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:29 am
Here's a copy of Phonetray Free v1.39. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mswptxvxbl1a ... ayFree.exe
1 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Post by Slim » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:07 am

Nimrod posted some good information about PTF, on 800notes.
Here is a shortened version of the post:

Nimrod replies to shark12
15 Oct 2014
After a couple years of using Phone Tray Free (PTF), I have amassed a few names in my list. To start, I have found that any call where the CID shows the name of a State is bogus, so you can add the other 48 to the 2 you already have. I list the names I have at the bottom of this post.

Badge714 has a very good point about blocking by area codes since the wildcard function allow for an entry like (555) ???-???? to block the entire 555 area code. I have blocks set for all invalid, unassigned, foreign and frequently reoccurring area codes. I have thought about blocking all and just doing a whitelist, but for now I like to play different sound file depending on where the call claims to have come from.

I find that PTF resolves what to do with a call by parsing and matching to its list in the following order:
1) Names without associated numbers (like in the list you show)
2) Specific numbers (like (555) 555-5555)
3) Numbers that match specified wildcards (like (555) 555-????)
Since it blocks wildcard matches last, it allows you to whitelist a number even if you block the entire area code (if you block the 555 area code using an entry of (555) ???-???? you could still allow (555) 555-5555 to get through by entering it and not checking the "Zap" box.)

You should add wildcard entries for area codes and exchanges that start with 0 or 1 such as "(0??) ???-????" and "(???) 0??-????" since no area code or exchange number can start with a 0 or 1. You also cannot have valid calls from numbers with a 9 as the second digit of the area code "(?9?) ???-????" or with 11 as the second and third digits of an exchange "(???) ?11-????"

This Wikipedia link discusses the rules for valid phone numbers under the North American Numbering Plan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... ering_Plan

This Wikipedia link lists the Area Codes under the North American Numbering Plan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... area_codes
It lists the codes by number and by region. The number list tells you if they are in use, reserved for future use, reserved for specific purposes (e.g. Government), or not used. It also tells which codes overlay other codes, so you can use this to block all the codes that cover a specific region.

-----

Since the "Privacy.csv" that PTF uses to keep its zap list can be opened and edited in a spreadsheet program like Excel, if you want to add these to your list:
-- Shut down the PTF service by right-clicking the icon on the task bar and selecting "Shutdown Phone Tray". (You cannot edit the file and keep PTF from overwriting your changes unless you turn it off.)
-- Open "Privacy.csv" in your spreadsheet program. The file is usually found in the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\PhoneTray"
-- Copy and paste the above list to the end of what is listed in the file and line up the names in the second ("B" under Excel) column.
-- Copy columns "C" through "Q" from another name/number you have blocked and paste that into the "C"-"Q" columns next to the entries you just added. (In Excel you can highlight the "C" cells next to the list and then do a right-click and paste to fill all the highlighted cells and the columns to their right.)
-- Save the edited "Privacy.csv" file.
-- Restart the PTF service. (Start->Programs->Phone Tray->Phone Tray Free)
1 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Post by Slim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:30 pm

Joe -

I suspect it is your modem.
I am using a fairly old tablet, with XP as an OS.
The modem is a very cheap USB voice modem.
Here is an image of one of the setup screens, showing the modem and some other info ... maybe that will help.

1 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Post by Slim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:53 pm

NYC_HDL

PTF allows blocking of some strings, out of the box. Here is an example of what CID "numbers" (see left column) can be blocked. "Out of Area" is one of them. Just change the Zap instructions to "yes" for whichever string(s) are most bothersome.

I have not looked at the database, to see if any of those strings can be changed, or if any can be added.

The newest Phone Tray (paid) seems to have more capability in this area.
1 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Post by Slim » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:29 pm

A bit of graphical illustration for Joe's suggestion:

3 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Post by Slim » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Joe -
A blocked caller slipped through today because it showed up as N/A.
You can block those calls (see pix, below)
However, there might be a few legitimate callers that display "N/A", so fully automatic blocking might be dangerous.

1 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Post by Slim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Phone Tray allows users to set their own answering .wavs, for each blocked phone number. There are some sites with rather interesting wavs that could be candidates.

Here is one that might give you a chuckle:
http://www.thisisarecording.com/z/spam.wav

Wander around that site for some quite good wavs for your Phone Tray!
2 x

Herman
Site Admin

Post by Herman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:17 pm

NYC_HDL wrote:I have converted an older PC to Linux, and have gone through a number of different builds and flavors... I am now on Linux Mint, and I like it a lot.

I would be interested in anyone's experience using CrossOver to run Windows programs, and in particular, if anyone has had success with PhoneTray Free. I hope to test that soon, and would welcome any tips / suggestions.

Thanks!
I'd say at this time, probably best to simply get an old laptop - I mean old, like Windows XP or Vista. Load phonetray on it, plug it in to any unused phonejack in the house and let its sole purpose be for screening calls. No internet, updates or additional software requirements. Wouldn't even need to interact with it much unless you wanted to view the call logs. So maybe a local lan with rdp access screen to check on the app without having to disturb the old timer.
1 x