Blocking calls from "Unknown"?

There are several call blocker apps, devices or services. Some may be more effective than others. If you wish, post your experiences, comments or comparisons here.
not Michael
Blocking calls from "Unknown"?

Post by not Michael » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:33 pm

The mother of someone I know on a strictly social board is getting calls where the caller ID says "Unknown" and is considering changing her phone number to get rid of them. We all know a new phone number often comes with the pests the previous owner was trying to get rid of.

Is there a call blocker that will block calls from "unknown"? I suspect the phone is a land line. I know the person has grand daughter in her late teens.

Thanks

(Deleted link to board with question.)
3 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Re: Blocking calls from "Unknown"?

Post by Slim » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:38 am

Is there a call blocker that will block calls from "unknown"?
Yes. Phone Tray (Free or paid)
http://800auxiliary.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83

However, it does require a computer, since PT is a software-based blocker.

There may be some hardware-based blockers that do something similar ... but one might have to read the operator's manual to tease out that info. Posting pros and cons for various blockers would be a valuable adjunct to this thread!
3 x

not Michael

Post by not Michael » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks, I'll pass the information along. But the victim is elderly and probably doesn't have one computer, let alone 2. Another poster on that board suggested she ask her phone company.
3 x

Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:24 am

NM, the T-lock does. It covers both unknown and private name & number. Its a easy one to work with.
2 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Slim
Curmudgeon

Post by Slim » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:33 am

Not michael -

The "no tech" answer:
Ignore the calls, or pick up then hang up.
3 x

MidNYteStorm

Post by MidNYteStorm » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:57 pm

I for one can speak from experience on getting the phone calls for complete strangers. I had it happen with more than one number. Most of the calls were from debt telemaggoters. Though I did get a few calls with one number from a school asking about my grandson. Those were rather humorous and I was able to resolve the issue by calling the school. I believe I had a couple of debt telemaggoters threaten to sue me cause they assumed their information was up to date. To this day I wish I told one of them to go ahead and file a lawsuit since I refused to pay.
3 x

Jagar

Post by Jagar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Over the last 3+ years I've received more calls from CIDs "Unavailable" and "Private Caller" than any other two call sources. Both of these CIDs had no numbers associated. My Panasonic cordless phone will automatically block both of these. I do not recall receiving a CID of "Unknown" without a number, but I could be wrong. At least it's not in my call log spreadsheet. I would like to believe that my phone equates "Unavailable" to "Unknown", but that's probably wishful thinking. I have logged over 600 total calls from "Unavailable" and "Private Caller" since August 2012. Wish I could be of more help.
2 x