TracFone / Net10 / etc fined!

There are several call blocker apps, devices or services. Some may be more effective than others. If you wish, post your experiences, comments or comparisons here.
Tamianth

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Post by Slim on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:43 pm
Some of you may use TracFone / Net 10 / Straight Talk / etc cellulars.
You might even have signed up for their "unlimited" plans, but found "unlimited" was not really unlimited.
The FTC agrees, and sued the company for deceptive advertising.

Last Updated: February 23, 2015
Federal Trade Commission, Plaintiff, v. TracFone Wireless, Inc., also doing business as Straight Talk Wireless, Net10 Wireless, Simple Mobile, and Telcel America, Defendant.

February 23, 2015
application/pdf icon Stipulated Order for Permanent Injunction and Monetary Judgment (144.76 KB)

Short version:

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that:
A. Judgment in the amount of Forty Million Dollars ($40,000,000) is entered in favor of the
FTC against TracFone.
B. TracFone is ordered to pay to the FTC Forty Million Dollars ($40,000,000) within 5 days
of entry of this Order by electronic fund transfer in accordance with instructions previously
provided by a representative of the FTC.

=====

Wow!

I wonder what is next ... a claim of "inability to pay", resulting in a revised fine of $1.00, or maybe users of those phones will see an increase in their fees.

As an aside, the "owner" of those systems (and more) is a company called "América Móvil" ... which is owned by Carlos Slim (no relation). :drinkup:

So, next time somebody complains about the FTC not doing anything, refer them to:
http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!

Tamianth

Re: TracFone / Net10 / etc fined!

Post by Tamianth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:32 pm

by BigA on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:57 pm
The problem is that money will go into the pocket of some politician. The people who deserve it are the people who were scammed into believing they were getting unlimited data, when it was actually being throttled down.

by Tamianth on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:40 pm
Yeah, and getting messed over. I have a tracfone, but I don't do the unlimited or monthly - I buy the minute cards only. It is only for when I'm away from the house or like when DH had his surgery's so I could phone the kids.

I hope they make it all stick though. I think they should have to reimburse some of that to the people who got took!
0 x
Ahr'lhonaema ihirer hotaessraei hwiunaier iarr'voi ortaihkhevha na sienov!
It is cowardice to be reluctant to take up the sword for a just cause!