Phone Tray Free (PTF)

There are several call blocker apps, devices or services. Some may be more effective than others. If you wish, post your experiences, comments or comparisons here.
JoeMama

Re: Phone Tray Free (PTF)

Postby JoeMama » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Oh one issue I'm having with PTF is that on occasion, and it seems to happen with cell phone numbers, is that they show up as N/A on occasion. It doesn't always happen, just now and then. I did a test call with my cell phone and it showed up like that once, called a second time and it had the correct caller ID. I suspect an issue with the modem not always reading the caller ID. When I first installed this, every call was popping up N/A until I clicked on that button in the settings box to fix it. So I just allowed all N/A calls to come through because I don't want customer calls blocked.
3 x
Not all telemarketers are scammers. It's just the thousands of rotten apples who spoil it for the other 11.

NYC_HDL

Postby NYC_HDL » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:57 am

JoeMama wrote:Can't you block using text strings? Go to "Add New Number" and instead of putting in a number, type "NOT AVAILABLE" into the name field. Do it again for "PRIVATE."

Thanks to JoeMama & Slim!... I had missed the annotation to leave the number field blank, and enter the offending Text in the Name field. I have tried this, and will follow-up once I can verify how it is working.
3 x

JoeMama

Postby JoeMama » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:53 pm

This is why I love PTF over the call blocker... because there were several groups calling with the same ID but with different spoofed numbers. One of them showed up as ASSIST, think it was Google + scam or business loan scam, don't remember exactly. But they must have called dozens of times but always with a different number. Blocking the number is fine, but they'll just call back with a different one next time. Having the capability to block the caller ID name is a big help. And like I said, it helps being able to prevent future unwanted calls by using it like a spam filter, since there are several different unwanted calls we get with the word "BUSINESS" in the CID, as well as "FUNDING." "CUST SRVC" is another one. So now any time an unwanted caller calls, I add their CID name to the list in case they want to call with a different number.
3 x
Not all telemarketers are scammers. It's just the thousands of rotten apples who spoil it for the other 11.

Slim
Curmudgeon

Postby Slim » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:29 pm

A bit of graphical illustration for Joe's suggestion:

3 x

JoeMama

Postby JoeMama » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:27 pm

A blocked caller slipped through today because it showed up as N/A. It was that stupid ISA Research that's been calling us daily. I finally answered it and lied to them saying that our business was an electronics firm and the business they were trying to reach went out of business. We'll see how that goes if we start getting calls for the fake electronics business I made up.
2 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Postby Slim » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Joe -
A blocked caller slipped through today because it showed up as N/A.

You can block those calls (see pix, below)
However, there might be a few legitimate callers that display "N/A", so fully automatic blocking might be dangerous.

1 x

JoeMama

Postby JoeMama » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:20 pm

Yes, it did accidentally block a legitimate caller which also came in as N/A, so I set it to accept those calls. I don't know if I need to dig out a different modem and throw it in this computer or what, but it's only on rare occasions that the caller ID doesn't decode.
2 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Postby Slim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Phone Tray allows users to set their own answering .wavs, for each blocked phone number. There are some sites with rather interesting wavs that could be candidates.

Here is one that might give you a chuckle:
http://www.thisisarecording.com/z/spam.wav

Wander around that site for some quite good wavs for your Phone Tray!
2 x

NYC_HDL

Postby NYC_HDL » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:53 pm

I have converted an older PC to Linux, and have gone through a number of different builds and flavors... I am now on Linux Mint, and I like it a lot.

I would be interested in anyone's experience using CrossOver to run Windows programs, and in particular, if anyone has had success with PhoneTray Free. I hope to test that soon, and would welcome any tips / suggestions.

Thanks!
2 x

Herman
Site Admin

Postby Herman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:17 pm

NYC_HDL wrote:I have converted an older PC to Linux, and have gone through a number of different builds and flavors... I am now on Linux Mint, and I like it a lot.

I would be interested in anyone's experience using CrossOver to run Windows programs, and in particular, if anyone has had success with PhoneTray Free. I hope to test that soon, and would welcome any tips / suggestions.

Thanks!

I'd say at this time, probably best to simply get an old laptop - I mean old, like Windows XP or Vista. Load phonetray on it, plug it in to any unused phonejack in the house and let its sole purpose be for screening calls. No internet, updates or additional software requirements. Wouldn't even need to interact with it much unless you wanted to view the call logs. So maybe a local lan with rdp access screen to check on the app without having to disturb the old timer.
1 x

Return to “Call Blocker Apps, Devices & Services”