International Numbers?

Have you learned of a phone scam or are being harassed by debt collectors?
Do you have any suggestions how to prevent or defend against such issues?
If so, post here.
MidNYteStorm
International Numbers?

Post by MidNYteStorm » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:42 pm

My mother uses VoIP though her cable service. In the last few months I have noticed several calls that appear to be from a US or Canadian number show up as being from overseas when I look at the call history online. For example one of the calls today came up as (843) 954-0701 which is for South Carolina, but her provider lists it as being from Vietnam. At first I was thrown by this but when I started to Google how to call the various countries I noticed that the country code was also the first 2 digits in the country code of the alleged country in question. Has anyone else come across this?
1 x

Slim
Curmudgeon

Re: International Numbers?

Post by Slim » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:59 pm

(843) 954-0701

The Vietnam Country Code is +84
The first two digits in the area code above are: 84

It is possible your mom's cable service lookup feature is confused
OR, maybe the phone number was truncated.

However, the +84 prefix is used when making calls from the USA TO VietNam (NOT to the USA)
To call United States from Vietnam, folks need to dial: 00 - 1 - Area Code - Land Phone Number

My guess:
The lookup feature is confused, if the caller was really in North America.
1 x

MidNYteStorm

Re: International Numbers?

Post by MidNYteStorm » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Thank you for that. I even questioned if somehow numbers were being dropped from the caller id information. Other past calls have shown up as Egypt & Russia. Not to long ago she received a call from a Canadian number that I believe was connected to the CRA scam. In that case I questioned if the telemaggoters were dumb enough to confuse 613 for 631.
1 x