LocateFamily.com ???

Have you learned of a phone scam or are being harassed by debt collectors?
Do you have any suggestions how to prevent or defend against such issues?
If so, post here.
Herman
Site Admin
LocateFamily.com ???

Post by Herman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 pm

I've been getting text messages and random calls for YEARS on my cell phone asking for two specific people. Martha Jensen and Trevor Samuels. Since all my business lines (four) are forwarded to my cell during working hours, I considered it the cost of having biz numbers posted out there on the web and thats that.

Today, after maybe 15 years of getting these periodic calls a small break in the case happened. Mind you, had I really put my mind to it and researched I'm sure something might have turned up sooner but here we are. A text message arrived for "Martha" like they have in the past but this time there was link to a website. I went to a pc instead of my phone so as not to give away my ip nor indicate that I was acknowledging the site via the phone and clicked on it. It was an application for a car loan, all filled in with Martha's particulars showing an address in suburban LA with my DC phone number as the primary contact.

Ignoring the moronic online loan application, I decided to put my number and Martha's name into google and see what came up. locatefamily.com did! There it was. A listing for Martha with my number in FOUR places as well as a fifth for Trevor Samuels. It had addresses listed in DC as well as California. Ah Ha! thats were these jerks have been getting these listings from for years.

I won't say locatefamily.com is 100% legitimate and its certainly not accurate but they had a form to fill out which wouldn't allow you to modify the listing but to request a suspension of any disputed information. I filled out the form using a junk email account for response and submitted all five references to my phone number. The site indicated it would be automated and that if the request for suspension was found "valid", the data would be removed. I had nothing to lose since the number was already there so I submitted the request.

After maybe twenty minutes, five automated responses arrived saying the data will be suspended - may take up to a week. I plan on republishing this to notes once a final outcome is achieved but for now, we shall see.

So, it my behoove you to check out any of your numbers on the web especially if you're getting excessive calls and texts for unknown names. Who knows, this may work out and if not. I may used pissedconsumer myself to start a war with these folks! :evilyes:
6 x