Amazon Chase Credit Card Scam

Have you learned of a phone scam or are being harassed by debt collectors?
Do you have any suggestions how to prevent or defend against such issues?
If so, post here.
RustyMcNuggets
Amazon Chase Credit Card Scam

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:26 pm

There has been a recent scam outbreak regarding Amazon Chase Credit Cards

Received by way of: MAIL
Forms of Receipt: (1) Receiving a credit card in the mail unsolicited. or.. (2) Receiving a letter stating your application was denied unsolicited.

People are receiving unsolicited credit cards or denial letters in the mail notifying the individual their application for a Amazon Chase Credit Card was received and accepted or denied. The only problem? NONE of the individuals applied on their Amazon accounts or on the Amazon site, which is the ONLY way to legitimately apply for a Amazon Chase Credit Card.

If you receive or have received one of these two types of notifications through the mail (credit card or denial) it has been recommended:
1. Call Chase and report that you DID NOT APPLY FOR THIS CREDIT CARD.
2. Report the issue to Equifax to place a 90 day fraud alert with them. They will in turn report it to all credit reporting companies.
3. Contact your local law enforcement (Town Police Dept or Sheriff's Department) and file a report to which you will receive a report number.
4. File a report with the FTC to which you will receive a report number.

At present time Thursday, August 18th, 2016, the outbreak has been only reported in the region of Central Illinois. It is assumed a facility or fast food restaurant franchise in the region was hacked into, but that is not confirmed.
5 x

MzFish

Re: Amazon Chase Credit Card Scam

Post by MzFish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks for the info Rusty!!
5 x
Trust takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair

Hortensia

Post by Hortensia » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks, Rusty.
Of course I have one of them. :wideye:
4 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 pm

I've done some additional searching and still only reported in central and southern Illinois.. Well.. Then there's this..

Developing story: ODs targeted for credit fraud: http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine.co ... edit-fraud
4 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Hackers, hackers EVERYWHERE!!!

Hackers breach election systems in Illinois, Arizona (200,000 effected)
http://www.21alive.com/nbc33/Officials- ... 36901.html

UPDATE: Don't bother clicking the link above. All you'll get is a 404 error.
4 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:49 pm

I have not heard more on this scam other than it has been making its rounds well beyond the state of Illinois.
4 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:07 pm

So my workplace just had another "questionable" purchase come across the wire.
For the last 4 to 5 months we've received purchase notifications involving something like this fictional example..
Personal data:
Company Name: smith supply
First name: james
Second name: smith
Phone: (phone number from Minnesota)
E-mail: jamessmith44 @me.com or jamessmith @gmail.com

Billing address:
Address: 1221 Fictional Street
City: grantsburg
State: Wisconsin
Zip code/ Postal code: 54840

Shipping address:
Address: (a UPS Store)
City: maplewood
State: Minnesota
Zip code/ Postal code: 55109

The card was authenticated by our credit card security services provider.

Flag 1: The company name and customer name. No such company in that area and no such company in the shipping area.
Flag 2: Phone number is from (in this example) Minnesota, but the billing address is in Wisconsin.
Flag 2: Basic email address.
Flag 4: A UPS Store as the delivery location.

We called the card company (which was VISA) and were assisted by someone with a heavy Indian accent (not being racist here). Gave him our ID numbers and such for security purposes. We told him about our suspicions and we'd like them to get a hold of the card holder to verify as we suspect fraud. The gentleman told us, "You'll have to get a hold of the bank who supplies the VISA card. "We don't have that info, but you do."
Agent, "We can't give that info out."
Us, "Don't you, as VISA, contact the customer or bank? That's how it worked in the past."
Agent, "No. The bank receives the charge and contacts the customer first if they feel it's suspicious."
Us, "So what you're saying is we have to process the entire order, ship it out and when the card holder disputes it, THAT is when the issue is attacked?"
Agent, "Yes!"
Us, "Basically we lose the money on the product and take the hit?"
Agent, "No, but we can't contact the card holder. The bank does. Then the process starts."
Us, "If we, the seller, call you to prevent a possible fraud and you won't contact them, let alone their bank, then explain to us what VISA Security Services stands for if you don't do any of that?"
They blurted out a bunch of nonsense and ended the call.

This is what fraud prevention has come to?
1 x

sickoffraud

Post by sickoffraud » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm

I am a victim of the Amazon/Chase fraud. Houston TX I have been fighting with Chase for more than a year. Sometimes they would pull my credit report on multiple days in one week. Had to call all 3 bureaus and to add freeze to them and to provide documentation in regards to the fraud. Chase will not remove the inquiries, they will only "mask" them. Just got one in the mail 1/8/18 this started in november of 2015. Chase advised in writing they were aware this was fraudulent but they kept pulling my report but it took an act of congress to get them to release the info they had in re to the applications. So now I have to spend the rest of my life with freezes on my reports because Chase is allowing fraudluent apps thru and rewarding the theives with a E-gift card. STOP THE E-GIFT CARD program Chase!
4 x

DM1

Post by DM1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 am

Sickoffraud, thanks for the info. It's unfortunate you had to go thru this.
2 x

RustyMcNuggets

Post by RustyMcNuggets » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 am

sickoffraud wrote:I am a victim of the Amazon/Chase fraud. Houston TX I have been fighting with Chase for more than a year.
Welcome to Auxiliary and thank you for your contribution. I'm curious? Was it an Amazon Chase card or just a Chase card

I wonder if much of this fraud with Chase is derived from this reported breach back in 2014. Amazon was connected prior to this.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/ ... /16643279/

More probable than not the swiped data from 2014 is still out there being sold from scammer to scammer.

The problem these days is even the card providers are less proactive. Much like insurance providers. Rather than serve their customers by providing customer service, protection and act immediately to benefit the card holder (I use all bolded words very loosely) they send you off to do all the leg work to where most wind up chasing their own tail. "Customer Service" is a loose term these days as many outsource said service to foreign lands and sometimes, only after you chew one out for a lengthy period of time, are you transferred to a direct agent of the card company.
2 x